Saturday, June 12, 2010

SD Weather Doesn't Like My Garden

So sorry for the absence--I've been busy reporting on the news, which has actually been the weather this weekend. My plants have been through a lot the past few weeks ... but few things have been as damaging as the rain and high winds we've seen in the past few days.

Soggy Stalks
My pepper plants have grown to new heights, looking quite promising with their full leaves and tall stems. Sadly, though, those same qualities made their more susceptible to wind damage.

I was very disappointed to see them all slumping in their pots Friday morning. One of the bell peppers did not survive. It's stem broke at the base, leaving it attached to the soil by one lone root. It's pot will soon house a second pot of fennel (and maybe some flowers--we'll see). The white lanterns will also have to go soon. Big, fat rain drops didn't mix well with their paper covering.

I should consider myself lucky. People in town just a few blocks from me lost vehicles, garages, and at least one person is now homeless because of the same storm. 75 mph winds wreaked havoc in Sioux Falls thanks to two micro bursts. Still, loss is loss.

On the brighter side, the bent and broken stems forced me to get creative. Leftover popsicle sticks (my homemade tags) came in very handy this evening as I made a crude support for each plant. I stuck a stick into each pot, right next to the stem, and then tied the stem to the stick with sewing thread to aid the plants in reaching their potential.

I have no idea if my stick-system will do any good, but I figured it couldn't hurt. It's working at my parents' house, where the only reason Mom's pear tree isn't growing horizontally is Dad's tie-down straps. I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree in this case.

Survival Instincts Strong
I should've known that most of my babies wouldn't succumb to the storms. They survived my vacation.

The man friend and I spent a few days in Las Vegas after he finished graduate school to unwind and get ready for summer insanity. It was in the desert, but not as gross as it was back home. Somehow, though, every single one of the vegetables made it through ... with some even growing excessively.

Miracle Growth
Many weeks ago, I thought all my pepperoncini plants had gone the way of the 8-track. Still, I planted one in a sand bucket and kept watering it. I'm not sure why, but I guess I held out hope that one of them would be okay.

A few days ago, I noticed the sprout was standing a little taller, a little stronger. The next day, it looked even better. It's come back from the dead! In fact, it survived the weekend weather better than any other pepper.

Whether or not there is any harvest from the pepperoncini is another story. Growth-wise, it's far behind it's brothers and sisters, several inches shorter, and still with only two leaves. Still, it's pretty cool that I am a nurturer.

Catch Up or Ketchup?
Hopefully in the next few days I'll get some fresh pictures up here. There's been a lot of growth in the garden, and it's truly starting look like a jungle out there. I can't wait to show it off :)

No comments:

Post a Comment