Material Girl
My book recommends not using plastic because the chemicals could leach into the soil and inevitably my veggies and, you know, cause cancer and stuff. The book is probably right, but non-plastic planters are a little spendy.
My next thought was coffee cans. They're easy enough to scrounge (as long as you know coffee drinkers), are sturdy enough to hold plants when they become voluminous and heavy with fruit. But, alas, my affordable alternative does have its flaws. The metal cans can get too hot if placed in full sun (which is where most garden vegetables are supposed to be planted) and can scorch the essential roots.
Glass jars don't seem like a bad plan. They've got that cool see through thing going, so you could keep an eye on the root systems. They're everywhere--mayonnaise jars, pickle jars, mason jars, etc. But, I worry they'll just be too small to support my peppers and other plants.
It seems all that's left is the old stand by: terra cotta. Sadly, though, I have very few of these, and they're currently occupied by tulips and herbs. The best prices I've found so far are at Home Depot, but for the size I need, it's still about $8 per pot ... and I need quite a few pots.
Prowling for Deals
I've been trying to keep my eyes peeled for containers to use that I hadn't thought to use before. 5-gallon buckets have come to mind ... but I don't know where to find those. The man friend has suggested looking at garage sales, but my work schedule doesn't permit that kind of fun. So, I've put him to work scouring Craigslist and other websites to find a retired gardener's supplies.
Sadly, though, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I may have to shell out more money than I planned to for this endeavor. If anyone has any ideas I haven't considered yet, I'd love to hear them. The peppers should be popping soon, after all.
cut the tops off of milk/juice jugs? I know it's still plastic, but to be honest, almost everything we eat is in plastic, so I feel like the damage has already been done in my case. haha.
ReplyDeleteclear plastic/glass... Roots are not made to be in the light and I am pretty sure it wouldn't work too well.
ReplyDeleteIf plastic kills us, we are all doomed for an early and unfortunate death.